About Us and Our Teachers
Bricks 4 Kidz® of Grand Rapids is excited about an opportunity to bring this exciting program to the area. We service the Grand Rapids and surrounding areas and are the first Bricks 4 Kidz® franchise in the Michigan Area. We are dedicated to ensuring that we are focused on children benefiting from the many positive educational and developmental benefits of our program.
We believe that a solid learning foundation begins with teachers. Our teachers all demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills with engaging personalities. This translates into interesting and well-taught classes, where students develop problem solving and critical thinking skills while exploring engineering, architecture and physics using LEGO® Bricks.
Our teachers are bright, creative individuals, who provide a fun, engaging atmosphere, who care deeply about their students, and love helping children learn and grow.
We require all of our teachers to have training and experience working with children in a child related setting, to pass all background checks, including the national FBI check. Our current teachers, all possess a minimum of a Bachelors degree, have a minimum of 2 years experience working with children in an educational setting, and many have experience working within the Grand Rapids Area schools systems and/or Headstart programs.
About Our Programs
We specialize in tailoring a program or event to meet the needs of your organization.
Bricks for Kidz® offers many different programs and events. We conduct, school programs, birthday Parties, Camps, and Field trips. No matter the program or event that we provide, in all cases it is hands-on learning, excitement and fun for the children.
CURRICULUM & INSTRUCTIONAL CONTENT:
Students will work using LEGO® bricks with an integrated curriculum based on math and science. Instructional content includes concepts of friction, gravity and torque, scale, gears, axles and beams. The material covered each session will vary depending on students’ ages, experience, and skill level. All material will be provided.
- Kids already know how to build with LEGO® bricks, but with a little coaching they can learn engineering, architecture and concepts of physics and mathematics using the plastic components.
- Students will develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Students learn to follow step-by-step directions to complete a task. It is important not to rush through and miss a step. This is especially valuable for children with AD/HD and can help them develop the patience to follow step-by-step instructions in a classroom setting.
- The three-dimensional understanding needed to correctly build a model comes more quickly for some children than others, so it can be a valuable skill development for those who are less adept at visual processing andspatial awareness.
- Sequencing is an important skill in many learning processes. Completing a model with LEGO® bricks involves sequencing, and it is fun and motivating for the children. The skill gained can easily translate to other environments.
- Fine motor skills are developed as children pick up and assemble the many small bricks, axles, gears and bushings.
- Students will learn teamwork while learning fundamentals of engineering and architecture in a noncompetitive setting and understand that Architecture and Engineering are viable career choices
- And even more….