ABOUT THE FOUNDER
As a kid, Michelle Cote, founder of Bricks 4 Kidz, didn’t play with LEGO Bricks. But she definitely had a hands-on childhood. She helped her dad work on his antique cars, made things out of wood, and played with Erector Sets and Lincoln Logs. She went on to earn a Bachelor of Arts from Flagler College and worked as an architectural draftsman using computer-aided design and drafting (CADD).
But in 2008, life handed Michelle a setback that led to the creation of her world-famous LEGO workshops. She found herself out of work in the height of the great recession. At the time, her 9-year-old son, Luke, loved Stars Wars and his LEGO sets. So Michelle put her CADD skills to work and designed new space-themed models for Luke to build and play with.
Her bold new designs set off a spark, and Michelle discovered more possibilities taking shape from the interlocking bricks. For Luke’s next birthday, she threw a LEGO bash, and created new games, challenges and designs just for Luke and his friends to build in their driveway. To her surprise, LEGO Bricks were a huge hit! Even better, she noticed her son and his friends showed a sense of accomplishment and pride in their work.
Soon after the success of the LEGO-inspired camps, she hosted an after-school program that introduced even more designs using LEGO Bricks. Then the calls started coming in. She heard from principals who wanted to bring her LEGO program into their schools. She heard from parents who wanted to make their child’s birthday party fun and enriching with LEGO. Clearly, her designs and activities filled a need: something hands-on, fun, creative and challenging. (And better yet, something that lures kids away from screen time!)
In 2009, Michelle co-founded BFK Franchise LLC. Today, the Bricks 4 Kidz classes, camps and workshops have grown to more than 600 franchises in 43 countries. And some of the original games and challenges from Luke’s birthday party are still in use. Michelle never gets tired of seeing children light up with excitement when their creation works. That’s priceless, she says.
To Michelle, the popularity of Bricks 4 Kidz classes and workshops reflects how parents and educators are finally realizing that schools need to focus more on STEM — science, technology, engineering and math in an atmosphere of fun and creativity. A hands-on learning program like Bricks 4 Kidz is one effective way to help kids learn these concepts.
Even though she is now the company president, Michelle still thinks up new projects for kids to build. For her, this is a dream come true: She gets to conceptualize and design models that are replicated by thousands of children around the world.
When Michelle is not running Creative Learning Corporation, she loves fishing, boating, surfing, scalloping and spending time with her family, which includes Stella, a rescue dog. She recently celebrated 20 years of marriage with Paul, the love of her life. They are the proud parents of their son, Luke, who is now 17 and an emerging artist, and Morgan, 15, an aspiring dancer and musician.
TURN YOUR DREAM INTO REALITY
For many people, the dream of owning their own business is just that – a dream. But it doesn’t need to be. With a BRICKS 4 KIDZ® franchise you can turn your dream into a reality and be your own boss, create a new career, and begin enjoying the many benefits of business ownership.
Start Up Support
- Territory analysis;
- Guidance on how to obtain contracts with public and private schools.
- One week comprehensive classroom and on-the-job training program at our corporate training.
- Exclusive use of our proprietary Operations Manual. Tools For Success
- Use of BRICKS 4 KIDZ® name, logos and trademarks;
- Access to proprietary and proven systems and techniques designed to make business ownership simple and efficient.
- Your own email address at www.bricks4kidz.com;
- A well-managed website that will promote your BRICKS 4 KIDZ® business at an easy to find web address, that will post your address, phone number, and other contact information as well as all your classes and other activities (camps, birthday parties, etc.)
- A Research and Development team working hard to stay ahead of industry trends.
- Sales and marketing training, including how to obtain school contracts and utilizing our proven marketing strategies
- Telephone consultations with our franchisee support team.
- Scheduled visits from Field Support Representatives.
- Meetings, teleconferences and workshops designed to keep you informed and ahead of market needs.